As part of my recent Canada trip, I got the amazing opportunity to meet new relatives. It’s not everyday you get to know a brand new branch of the family tree and I have to say it was lovely. Actually, they are lovely.and not only are they loud, out going and a tad nutty ( just like me really), they also very much love their food. In addition to playing ‘how we are related?’ (Potentially an exciting new game show concept), with one cousin I also played recipe swap. I gave her a healthy chicken sausage roll recipe and she gave me the below. Getting to know new family is oh so very very tasty :).
As usual I put my own little spin on it – I substituted 1 cup of quinoa for a cup of white rice simply because I ran out. I have to say it was one of the best salads I’ve ever made.
Quinoa, sweet potato and spinach salad
1 bunch spinach washed and chopped
3 shallots cut into 1cm pieces
2 large sweet potatoes
100g slivered almonds
1 cup quinoa
1 cup white rice
2 tbsp olive oil
1/4 cup orange juice
1/4 cup white wine vinegar
1/4 cup dark soy sauce
1/4 cup honey
2 tbsp sesame oil
1 tbsp minced ginger
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees
2. Peel and chop the sweet potato to 2cm cubes. Mix with olive oil, salt and pepper and spread over a baking tray. Bake for 25 min or until crisp and brown. Remove from oven and set aside to cool.
3. Spread slivered almonds out on a second baking tray and bake for 10 minutes at 180. Combine with sweet potato.
4. Thoroughly wash rice and quinoa and cook according to packet instructions (I combined my grains and microwaved in a large glass bowl with 4 cups water for 15 min). Once cooked set aside to cool.
5. In the interim, combine all the dressing ingredients in a jar.
6. Place chopped spinach and shallots in a large serving bowl. Once at room temperature add the grain mixture, sweet potato and almonds. Toss well, cover and place in fridge to chill.
7. Drizzle with dressing and toss again just prior to serving.